How do I reset the administrator on my Mac?
Here’s how to do that:
- Restart your Mac. …
- While it is restarting, press and hold the Command + R keys until you see the Apple logo. …
- Go to the Apple Menu at the top and click Utilities. …
- Then click Terminal.
- Type “resetpassword” in the terminal window. …
- Then hit Enter. …
- Type your password and a hint. …
- Finally, click Restart.
How can I find my administrator name and password on my Mac?
Mac OS X
- Open the Apple menu.
- Select System Preferences.
- In the System Preferences window, click on the Users & Groups icon.
- On the left side of window that opens, locate your account name in the list. If the word Admin is immediately below your account name, then you are an administrator on this machine.
How do I recover my Mac administrator password?
Reset your login password using a recovery key
On your Mac, choose Apple menu > Restart, or press the Power button on your computer and then click Restart. Click your user account, click the question mark in the password field, then click the arrow next to “reset it using your recovery key.”
Why is my administrator account not working Mac?
Restart the Mac while holding down the Command+R keyboard combination to enter the macOS Recovery partition. Release the keys when you see the Apple logo on the screen. Select Utilities > Terminal to open a Terminal window. Type resetpassword and press Return to open the Reset Password screen.
How do you restore a Mac to factory settings?
How to Factory Reset: MacBook
- Restart your computer: hold the power button > select Restart when it appears.
- While the computer restarts, hold down the ‘Command’ and ‘R’ keys.
- Once you see the Apple logo appear, release the ‘Command and R keys’
- When you see a Recovery Mode menu, select Disk Utility.
What if I forgot my administrator password?
Go to the https://accounts.google.com/signin/recovery page and enter the email you use to sign in to your administrator account. If you don’t know your username, click Forgot email?, then follow the instructions to access your account using your recovery email address or phone number.
How can I get admin access to a Mac without knowing the current password?
Restart and enter Recovery mode (for 10.7 Lion and newer OS only)
- Hold ⌘ + R on startup.
- Open Terminal from the Utilities menu.
- Type resetpassword and follow the instructions.
How do I log into my Mac as an administrator?
Choose Apple menu () > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups (or Accounts). , then enter an administrator name and password.
How do I reset my Mac administrator password?
From the admin account you can get into, open the Users & Groups pane, which is located in System Preferences. Select the admin account to which you don’t know the password. Click on the Change Password button. Enter a new password as well as a new password hint.
Why is my Mac stuck on the login screen?
Press and hold the Shift key while pressing the power button to restart your Mac. Release the Shift key when you see the Apple logo and loading bar. Uncheck login items in Users & Groups after your Mac loads successfully in Safe Mode.
How do I remove an administrator from my Mac without a password?
- boot computer and hold the “apple” key and the “s” key.
- wait for terminal show.
- release keys.
- type without the quotes: “/sbin/mount -uaw”
- press enter.
- type without the quotes: “rm /var/db/.applesetupdone.
- press enter.
- type without the quotes: “reboot”