Can a Windows 7 computer join a Windows 10 HomeGroup?
HomeGroup is only available on Windows 7, Windows 8. x, and Windows 10, which means that you won’t be able to connect any Windows XP and Windows Vista machines. There can be only one HomeGroup per network. … Only computers joined with a HomeGroup password can use the resources on the local network.
How do I connect my Windows 7 computer to Windows 10?
From Windows 7 to Windows 10:
1. Open drive or partition in Windows 7 Explorer, right-click on the folder or files that you want to share and select “Share with” > Choose “Specific people…”. 2. Choose “Everyone” in the drop-down menu on File Sharing, click “Add” to confirm.
Can’t access Windows 7 share from Windows 10?
PC Cannot See Shared Folders in Windows 10
- Make sure your computers are using the same network and IP version, i.e. IPv4 or IPv6. …
- Make sure Network discovery is enabled on all computers.
- Make sure File and printer sharing is enabled on all computers.
- Toggle Turn on password protected sharing to off and retest.
How do I create a network between Windows 7 and Windows 10?
Setting up Sharing
- Open File Explorer.
- Browse to the folder location with the files that you want to share.
- Select one, multiple, or all the files.
- Click on the Share tab. …
- Click the Share button.
- Select a contact, nearby sharing device, or one of the Microsoft Store apps (such as Mail)
How do I connect my computer to my home network Windows 10?
Use the Windows network setup wizard to add computers and devices to the network.
- In Windows, right-click the network connection icon in the system tray.
- Click Open Network and Internet Settings.
- In the network status page, scroll down and click Network and Sharing Center.
- Click Set up a new connection or network.
What replaced HomeGroup in Windows 10?
Microsoft recommends two company features to replace HomeGroup on devices running Windows 10:
- OneDrive for file storage.
- The Share functionality to share folders and printers without using the cloud.
- Using Microsoft Accounts to share data between apps that support syncing (e.g. Mail app).
Can you transfer data from Windows 7 to Windows 10?
You can transfer files yourself if you’re moving from a Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 PC. You can do this with a combination of a Microsoft account and the built‐in File History backup program in Windows. You tell the program to back up your old PC’s files, and then you tell your new PC’s program to restore the files.
How do I share files on my PC Windows 7?
Browse to the folder you want to share. Right-click the folder, select Share with, and then click Homegroup (Read), Homegroup (Read/Write), or Specific people. If you chose Specific people, the File Sharing window displays. Click the down arrow and select the account you want to share with, and then click Add.
Can I transfer programs from Windows 7 to Windows 10?
For Windows 7 users, it’s easy to upgrade to Windows 10 on the same computer, but not that easy to transfer their programs, settings and files from an old Windows 7 machine – to a new Windows 10 computer. This is even more cumbersome because Windows 10 no longer includes any “Easy Transfer” functionality.
Why can’t I access a shared folder on Windows 7?
Click Start, click Run, type firewall. cpl, and then click OK. On the General tab, make sure that the Don’t allow exceptions check box is not selected. … On the Exceptions tab, make sure that the File and Printer Sharing check box is selected, and then click OK.
Why can’t I access another computer on my network?
You can head to Settings > Network & Internet > Sharing Options > Turn on network discovery to re-enable this, but Windows will helpfully provide a shortcut to enable it at the top of the File Explorer window. Press the yellow bar that appears at the top to bring up a quick options menu.
How do I get permission to access a network computer?
- Access the Properties dialog box.
- Select the Security tab. …
- Click Edit.
- In the Group or user name section, select the user(s) you wish to set permissions for.
- In the Permissions section, use the checkboxes to select the appropriate permission level.
- Click Apply.
- Click Okay.
How do I share files on my PC Windows 10?
File sharing over a network in Windows 10
- Right-click or press a file, select Give access to > Specific people.
- Select a file, select the Share tab at the top of File Explorer, and then in the Share with section select Specific people.
How do I transfer files from Windows 7 to Windows 10 with an Ethernet cable?
How do I transfer files between PCs using an ethernet cable?
- Configure the Windows 7 PC. Go to the Windows 7 PC. Press Start. Go to the Control Panel. …
- Define what files can be shared. Select a folder you want to share. Right-click it and select Properties. …
- Configure the Windows 10 PC. Go to the Windows 10 PC. Press Start.